Friday, December 23, 2011

Music Review - Handle Bars

For my music review, I choose a popular song, but I feel is still sort of hidden. It's called 'Handlebars' by Flobots from the album Fight with Tools.


Immediately, the song starts off with what seems a playful boasting, "I can ride my bike with no handlebars," but it seems to escalate to some more complex things that still seem something one might be able to do. Then it takes a dramatic turn and the song portrays the power a single individual can have and how it's up to that individual to decide how he manages this power, 
"I can hand out a million vaccinations or have 'em all die from exasperation."

For me, it's all about the individual and how he/she has enough power and potential to change how the world is and not necessarily in a good way.

The vocals are what drives the song, seemingly it starts out innocently with what might seem like some kid showing off and the voice gets powerful when the issues turn serious, almost to the point of yelling. The instrumentals are also very adequate to the song and add to the strong message it succeeds in portraying, increasing in dynamic when the vocalist gets to the stronger message and decreasing to almost nothing when it's just showing off.

The message is incredible and haunting and it's one song I always find myself coming back to. Easily 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment