Friday, March 2, 2012

Memoir Critique

The memoir I selected was Brown Bear: My Childhood Friend.
I really enjoyed this memoir because it brings up my own childhood memories, I remember when I was about 6 and I also had a stuffed bear that I carried around with me, it was a best friend to me and as I grew up I moved on to other things, I outgrew my bear and this memoir personifies the bear a little and depicts as a lonely soul and it made me feel a little sad. The narration is realistic, everybody, in my opinion, should be able to relate to the narration and have some form of nostalgia.
The narration is innocent at first and meant to evoke some nostalgia of our favorite childhood toys and it did that for me, I also remember throwing my bear at a fan and pretending he was flying and much to my mom's displeasure, feeding him baby food. 
In the end, the message is that not all things are forever, but it's good to treasure them in our memories. We'll always grow and our interests and desires will change as well and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The author does a good job of reflecting back on their memory realistically and with good insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment